Bollywood actors who turned vegan/vegetarian
Bollywood is about setting trends and inspiring people. Celebrities often flaunt their bodies as a show of their hard work and hours dedicated to exercising. Their physical fitness and diet is often intriguing to people who follow them. Even though protein is an essential part of the diet and meat is its primary source, some celebrities choose not to incorporate it in their diets. Be it for the love of animals, awareness about the environment or medical purposes, they have given up on meat, dairy, and animal products. Here are some of those Bollywood actors who turned vegan or vegetarian.
1. Shahid Kapoor: Starting off as the chocolate boy of the Indian Film Industry, Shahid Kapoor built up his image as a brilliant actor with movies like Haider, Padmaavat, and Kabir Singh. His physique is often an inspiration to many of us. But how many of you know that he is a vegetarian? In 2011, he was even named Asia’s Sexiest Vegetarian. He gave up on meat after being inspired by the novel ‘Life is Fair’ by Brian Hines.
2. Kangana Ranaut: The ‘Queen’ of the Indian Film Industry who used to binge on Hyderabadi biryani is now a vegan. She is an active supporter of animal rights. She is known to practise veganism for both ethical and environmental reasons. She turned vegan in 2013, after finding out that dairy products were giving her acidity. She is also very vocal about her take on veganism and animal rights. She was also awarded as the ‘Sexiest Vegan of the Year by PETA’ in 2013.
3. Aamir Khan: Aamir Khan is known as the perfectionist of the film industry. He used to enjoy fish, chicken, meat, eggs, and dairy products. After watching a video on the diet change that can help prevent the most common diseases, Aamir and Kiran switched to veganism. The video showed him how to lead a better life, therefore he gave up on dairy and meat products.
4. Sonam Kapoor: Sonam Kapoor turned vegetarian a few years ago. She loved seafood and curd but has given up on meat and dairy products due to her health. She first transitioned to vegetarianism and then to veganism as she is lactose intolerant.
5. John Abraham: John is one of the fittest actors in the film industry and is known for his well-built physique. He is also an advocate of animal rights. He believes that harming animals is not a compulsion to bulk up. He became vegan in favour of animal rights and frequently states his affection for animals and their protection from inhumane acts.
6. Sonakshi Sinha: Sonakshi Sinha adores animals and is a supporter of animal rights. Her aim is to bring an end to the inhumane acts against the animals and works for it too. In her interviews, she stated that veganism helped boost her metabolism. She also confessed that her new diet has also aided weight loss.
7. Amitabh Bachchan: Amitabh Bachchan is one of the finest and fittest actors in the film industry, that too in his 70’s. His key to staying fit and healthy is his vegetarian diet. He does not eat any kind of meat or meat products. PETA has named him the ‘Hottest Vegetarian’ several times.
8. Alia Bhatt: Alia Bhatt climbed the ladder of success with her hard work and amazing acting skills. She loves animals and cats are her favourite. In lieu of her love towards animals, she gave up on meat and meat products. She stated that she is becoming fond of this new lifestyle and is loving her diet. She also founded CoExist, an animal charity organization that works for stray animals.
Following a vegan or vegetarian diet can be quite difficult, especially if you love your meat and are in the fitness industry. But these actors, be it in support of animal rights or their health have made it possible and are now an inspiration to those who are on their journey to veganism or vegetarianism.